Sunday, January 20, 2013

Picking myself up

OK, so after 2 weeks of antibiotics, and a low residue (read: white bread and pasta, no veggies or fruit) I can start eating somewhat normal again.  Yesterday, I ate some potato chips and salsa and some salad (risky) at my friend's little girl's birthday party.  I probably over did the veg a little, but I was so happy to be eating plant-based matter again, that I didn't really care.  There was some cheese in the salad, but I didn't worry too much about it.  Again - vegetables = priority.

My 2 weeks of antibiotics started with a 5 day juice fast and minibreak from school.  This was the longest liquid diet I have ever done - including the 4 days I was in the hospital 3 years ago.  They let me have a grilled cheese the last day.  Lucky me.

It wasn't so bad.  The hardest day was day 4 because I had a basketball tournament 45 minutes away.  I spent about an hour chopping and juicing the night before so I had everything I needed.  I made a giant thermos of Moroccan Mint Green Tea to help with the heartburn I was getting from the lemon in my juice that I put in there to help with the GROSS taste in my mouth from one of my medicines.  Such a fun few days, let me tell you.  While there, I said no to going to Portillo's with my fellow coaches and players because I didn't think I could handle it.  I love Portillo's and I just wanted to chew food.  Too many temptations for sure.  So instead, I opted to stay back with the two kids who would rather eat chicken nuggets.  Weirdos.  We ended up with silver in the tournament so we are headed to the Special Olympics Illinois State Basketball Tournament in Bloomington-Normal in March.  Whoo-Hoo!

Things got better once I started eating food again.  The heartburn went away, but interestingly, I had less energy.  It think the amount of nutrients I was getting eating all the processed white flour didn't measure up to the amount of goodness in my juice.  Thanks again Joe Cross (@JoetheJuicer).

I did gain a few pounds back - but I'm not taking it too badly.  I know when I get back up to eating a giant Mason jar salad for lunch again, it will all come right off again.  Gastroenterologist said I should work myself up to eating "normally" by February 1.  10 days to go...

Tonight's dinner was pizza made from a Torta roll, spaghetti sauce, onion and chunks of Tofurky Italian sausage.  I did put some vegan mozzarella "cheese" on it, but not a lot.  It didn't need it and it didn't "melt like real cheese" as it claimed to on the package.  Jerks.  I should have taken a picture but I don't have my iPhone right now because it is getting repaired by Best Buy.  I got a stupid little loaner Android that is making me crazy.  Maybe I'll make it for lunch again tomorrow sans "cheese."

So moral of this story is that I think I'm done feeling sorry for myself.  It's not worth it and it just makes me spend too much time on my couch and not enough time living. 

On a side note:  Say Happy Birthday to Payton! (yesterday, but she will still say "Thanks!")


No comments:

Post a Comment