Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Depressed

So I knew it would happen, the other shoe would drop.  It always does.  It seems like every time I make progress toward getting healthy, something happens that derails me.  I get injured so I can't work out, I get sick, I need surgery, blah blah blah. 

Yesterday, the shoe dropped.  I went to the doctor because I was having abdominal pain and bloating and a lot of pressure and, not to over share, but nothing was doing what it was supposed to be doing, if you get my drift.  She sent me for a CT scan and then called me with the most devastating news I have gotten in a long time.  My diverticulitis is back. 

Three years ago, I was first diagnosed.  I had an attack in October, another in January that landed me in the hospital and then another shortly there after which got me referred to a surgeon whom I now call Dr. Moron.  I call him this because not only did he reschedule my surgery for March 17 (Yes, Kelly O'Reilly's surgery for St. Patrick's Day/My sister's birthday) because of "scheduling conflicts (i.e. golf outing out of town I'm sure), but he also told me that I had a less than 5% chance of a re-occurrence.  Well guess what?  I've now beaten the odds on many things in life.  I got a bum gall bladder, been hit by a car, was the youngest patient my gastroenterologist ever had with diverticulitis and now it's back.  Maybe I should start playing the lottery...

So anyway, I was toying with the idea of doing a juice fast for a few days anyway so I figured this would be the perfect time.  Last time, my Dr. told me "Clear liquids for 48 hours."  This time, she said I could make juice as long as I strained it well.

Today was day one.  Also day one of the gross antibiotics that have the following side effects:
appetite loss, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, metallic taste, nausea, stomach upset, vomiting.  Yay.  The metallic taste is the worst.  It makes food taste bad and nothing helps - except sucking on Werther's caramels but they have milk in them and will probably upset things again (see Off the Wagon Post). 

I spent today on my couch, drinking juice and feeling sorry for myself.  Hopefully I will just need one more day home to rest up and get the antibiotics working enough that the pain subsides so I can go back to work.  I do miss the little buggers...

Here is what I made and what I thought of it.  No pictures because that took more effort than I felt I wanted to put into anything.  Except sitting.

Breakfast
3 handfuls spinach
1 cucumber
2 carrots
2 green apples
2 stalks celery

Not bad, but not awesome.  I could drink it again.  This is an untainted review as I took my first dose of meds with it so the metallic taste hadn't started yet.

Lunch
4 stalks celery
2 carrots
1 green apple
1 cucumber
1 half inch slice of a beet
2 plum (Roma) tomatoes (seeded of course)

Eh, probably would have been better with less celery.  I think 4 was too much with only 1 apple to balance the peppery flavor.  Slight metallic taste at this point in the day...

Dinner
2 stalks celery
1 cup cantaloupe cubes
2 carrots
1 half inch slice of a beet
1/2 cup pineapple chunks (fresh)

Definitely won't be mixing cantaloupe and celery again.  I was pretty sure this was a bad idea from the start, but I'm trying to use the fruits and veggies that I so lovingly prepped on Sunday for the week.  Since I can't eat them straight, (fiber = bad during flare up) I need to juice them.

I have a follow up appointment with my doctor tomorrow - fingers crossed...

1 comment: